Friday, August 19, 2011

Say Goodbye to Nutty Cones...

  This is Zoe, my gorgeous, artistic, intelligent, dramatic, most-favorite 7-year old daughter in the world. 

Yesterday, she was diagnosed with Celiac disease just like her mommy. 

I was pretty sure her test would come back positive, but when the doctor said the words, "We did find Celiac disease," it felt like a knife in my stomach.  I started crying on the way home while talking to her about it.  My attempts to stay positive and upbeat were completely thwarted when she asked me, "Do I have to eat gluten free for the rest of my life?"  I tried to take a deep breath to answer her calmly, but instead a loud sobbing croak came out of me and that was the end of it.

Zoe is a smart, headstrong kid and I know she will do just fine.  What breaks my heart is the thought of her feeling left out or weird.  Fortunately, she's cute and if anyone can make eating gluten free cool, it will be Zoe.  She already has 7-year old boys calling her hot at summer camp, which led to me explaining the concept of being respected by others (especially boys) and the fact that the word "hot" is neither respectful nor appropriate.  But I digress from my wallowing...


It's going to be an interesting road ahead for our whole family, especially since Zachary does not (at 
this point) have Celiac disease and can eat whatever he wants.  So do I let him eat Goldfish for a snack and make Zoe eat a pathetic gluten-free substitute?  Or do I eliminate all foods that might make her sad, thus restricting Zach's diet in the process?  I hate to say it, but it would almost be easier if Zach had it, too.

All I have to say is God Bless Wegmans.  Without their affordable and extensive gluten-free selection, I would be lost.  Yes, I would love a Whole Foods in Buffalo as well, but then I would probably end up bankrupt and need to turn tricks for a loaf of gluten free bread.  Although I might willingly turn some tricks for Whole Foods' hummus.  And their prepared foods section.  And all their 365 brand stuff.

My first order of business?  Figure out a way to make a tasty GF version of Wegmans Coconut Cake.  It's Zoe's (and her Aunt Ally's) absolute favorite.

No comments: