Annie: one of the many musicals of my childhood that I loved so much I wish I lived it. Yes, I wish I lived in an orphanage with a bunch of other girls my age, singing together about the trials and tribulations of pre-tween-hood. Miss Hannigan didn't frighten me a bit—my father could (then AND now) drink her under the table.
A few weeks ago, my kids saw the movie Annie for the first time and they were, to say the very least, completely and utterly captivated. I thought I would encourage their new love of musicals by downloading the Broadway soundtrack (which I still have on vinyl, by the way) and letting them listen to it while they fall asleep.
Note: my kids simply cannot fall asleep without music playing. They have had music playing at bedtime since the day they were born, something I take great pride in.
A month later, the Annie obsession continues. Perseveres. Dominates. DRIVES JON AND I INSANE. And no, it's not Zoe sitting in her window wondering in song about her real parents. It's Zach.
Zach wants to be Annie. Zach wants to be an orphan. Zach wants to be Daddy Warbucks. And, perhaps most disturbingly, Zach wants to be Miss Hannigan. There is nothing quite like hearing your 6-year old son sing passionately (falsetto), "I'm an ordinary woman...with feelings. I'd like a man to nibble on my ear." Every night, he lays in bed singing along to the soundtrack. And every morning, around 6 a.m. (even on weekends), we hear him stumble out of bed over to his little stereo and start blasting the Overture, which is his favorite because then he can sing the lead.
He sings when he plays, when he showers, while he eats dinner, and also while taking spelling tests at school (which got him in trouble). It's to the point, now, where I am seriously considering signing him up for some sort of theater class because, even though it is incredibly annoying, it is also incredibly cute. And since it's pretty much a guarantee that neither of our children will be athletes, we want to encourage the arts as much as possible.
Who knows, maybe we have the next Tom Hanks/ Jack Nicholson/ Sean Penn/ [insert-the-Academy-Award-winner-of-your-choice-here] in our presence. Toddlers and Tiaras, here I come.

No comments:
Post a Comment